Saturday, January 24, 2009

Day Twenty Four...

Who is your hero? Are you someones hero? When I was growing up, I really never thought about heroes that much. I guess my dad was my hero at the time, but it was never this conscious thought that I had. My world was a relatively stable one, and it was a good world for the most part. I did not have a great time, there were fights and the constant evasion of those fights, but there were always constant things in my life. We ate dinner EVERY NIGHT at 530PM, nothing ever changed that. After dinner (and after the kitchen was cleaned) we went back outside to play, and we had to be home when the street lights came on. That never changed. I led a relatively normal middle class life, but I never really thought about heroes in my childhood.

Now though, the thought has entered into my consciousness. I think after my dad, my Aunt Ruby would have to be my next hero. Maybe I am confusing heroes with people who thought I could do no wrong, but if that is the definition for your hero, then Ruby was the one. She too was always encouraging, and she led her life the way she wanted to live it, and was not judgmental and could not care a twit about what anyone else thought of her or how she lived her life. She had some great stories to tell, and she too was probably my dads hero.


That makes me think of the difference between being a gentleman and being gentle. When you think about it, there really is a big difference. I pretty much have always considered myself to be a gentleman, but now I wonder if I should not have been working more towards being gentle as well. I think I am going to give that a try, and see how it works out. We shall see...


In the meantime, you should all know that I do have a hero...Jody is my hero. Always supportive, always appreciative, always there for me, no matter what. Always gentle and always a gentle man.

I wonder if I am any ones hero? I really doubt it, I don't think I really qualify or am worthy of being called someones hero. I think I will work on that, too. I hope at least that our adopted dog, THE BEAR BOY thinks I am his hero. We shall see...

Now, go find your hero, and let them know. They will most likely be very surprised to learn that fact. There is no time like the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment