Monday, December 7, 2009

Day Three Hundred Forty One...

More sturdy stands the bowing reed than doth the mighty oak. I am not sure, but I think that is something from Shakespeare, from high school no less. Anyway, what we seem to be getting lately is rain, and so that is what I am going to go with. Back in the summer when we were getting nothing but heat and dry, that is what I talked about, so now we are getting rain, and that is what you are stuck with. RAIN! Today we had just a little bit of rain, but that little bit of rain lasted most of the day, and I expect it will last from now until mid-day tomorrow. That is what the official weather prognosticators are saying anyway. I love the rain, but I am not happy that it is not allowing me to harvest the hay that is now worthless in my pastures. I am not happy that it will not allow me to fix fences in the back pasture, so I can adequately rotate the cattle. I am not happy that the cattle are ankle deep in water in substantial parts of the pastures. I know these inconveniences will be replaced all too soon with drought conditions, but I am just a short-sighted about it as the next guy, and for right now, I just wish we could have a good month of dry weather so I could get some work done in the pastures. I will now step down from my soap-box. Thank you very much.

Today was a great day for me, not so great for some of our staff and agents. River has been ill off and on last week, and she needed a sick day today...Carrie was kind of ill this morning when I spoke with her, so she worked from home. I was teaching a class (actually two classes) today, and I feel like a million bucks! The challenge is that Tom was the only person in the office all day today, but he did a great job, and took care of everything himself. I am relatively certain that it was not a really busy day in the office, but I am also relatively sure that it was a really busy day for ONE person. Thanks for all your hard work today , Tom!

Class (okay the two classes) we great, and I think very well received by the attendees. For me, this was the last time to teach the 2007 TREC Ethics and Legal Updates. Starting January 1st, the new classes will kick in, and the new subject material (as a result of the last Legislative Session) will debut. At the end of the next two year term, we will all be ready for updated material again, so that is always something to look forward to. I had lots of good, positive comments from the attendees, and that made me feel really good. I love teaching, and sharing with other REALTORS, and I hope they all learn something that they can take away immediately and put to good use.

I made it home today with no real issues, BUT I think I was about only 15 minutes ahead of the curve. I made it home about 5:30, and the television news was showing serious back-ups and massive delays on all the major roads. I was lucky to be just a few minutes ahead of all of it. When I was close to home, I ran into Slade (a friend of Michael's and a local man that I have met in the past). He was having truck trouble, so I stopped and asked if he needed a ride somewhere. There was really no sense in me asking if I could help with his truck, well, because I know nothing about trucks, but I can give people a ride somewhere. We talked for a few minutes, and he said he thought he had the issue fixed (he thought there was an carburetor issue) and so we parted ways, and I think I saw him driving off. Living in the country is so enjoyable to me, we all really do try to help each other, and I did not hesitate for a second to stop an offer what little help I could, and I did not even know it was Slade. It is just what you do out here, and that is okay by me!

So, as a result of the conversation, Slade told me that he and Michael had been out working on the electrical service we are running to the pasture, the feed barn and the big barn. I was surprised that they were doing anything in this weather, but they were, so that is a good thing. I understand Michael is close to getting his house finished, and they have about three weeks to make their goal of moving in before Christmas. I think they will make it, I hope so.

OKAY, 'nuff said. Kindness, Deeds, Actions, Changes, Whirled Peas, FUN and PAY IT FORWARD!

No comments:

Post a Comment