Friday, January 22, 2010

2010 - Day Twenty Two...

How many REALTORS does it take to change the 'lamp' in a rear projection television set? Well, I had my concerns, but it turns out it takes one (with invaluable assistance from Jody). Last night when I got home, Jody reported that the big tv in the den was not operating, and from the array of lights there were going off and on, I kind of determined that the lamp had gone bad. So, I got out the old trusty manual (I'm amazed that I could actually find it) and checked out the procedures for changing the bulb. Looked simple enough, five pages of WARNINGS and illustrations, but it did not look like anything I could not handle. So, then I was off on a search to find the replacement lamp. Looking it up on the Internet, I determined I could order one on-line for $263 plus shipping, etc. I found one locally for $215, and off I went to get the bulb. When I got there, the counter-guy asked if had bought in the 'housing' and I said no, I just needed the bulb, and I would replace it myself. LOUD LAUGHTER ALL AROUND, and I told them I had reviewed the manual, and it did not look like too big of a deal. MORE LOUD LAUGHTER ALL AROUND, this time accompanied by conversations in a language I could not understand but I was not deterred. I was convinced I could do it.

So, I got home and went to work. All the illustrations were pretty accurate, up to a point. There is/was an entire section of issues and situations that I came upon that were not mentioned (or illustrated) in the manual. There are no illustrations in the manual of having to contort your body (hands, mouth, fingers and tongue) in order to get all the little screws undone and to actually get the lamp out of this 'cage' wherein it has been happily ensconced in for the last 10 years or so. They also warn NOT TO TOUCH the lamp with your bare hands, and the new lamp included ONE rubber glove. I am not sure how many one handed tv repair people there are out there, but I needed two gloves to accomplish the task at hand. Luckily, we live on a farm, and we buy rubber gloves in boxes of 100. Don't ask. ANYWAY, with Jody's help, I was victorious, and the tv is in there entertaining itself and am being very smug that I actually got it fixed! Your congratulations will be graciously accepted at our next meeting.

Whatever...

So, the day was a good one, lots of accomplishments, and lots of errands taken care of. I had a conference call at noon that lasted WAY LONGER than I was expecting it to. That is over now, so on to bigger and better things. Plenty of stuff still to get accomplished before I leave town on the 31st. I am getting pretty darn excited about this cruise, and I think I am teaching two classes instead of just one, which makes better sense to all involved.

While I was out today, I had lunch at Wienerschnitzel, and that was adequate. It was late and I was hungry, so that was about it. Two chili-cheese dogs, and a small order of fries and a medium Barq's. Hot dogs are one of my favorite foods (okay, I never claimed to be a gourmand, that is part of the reason I am excited about the cruise), and it is not too often that I get to sate that craving. There was a poster in the place of an old advertisement that showed hot dogs for 18 cents...these delights have really out-done themselves in the 'everything is more expensive today' category.

We are pretty darn close to having our second self-sustaining-energy day since we put in the wind turbines. As of my last reading, we had used 17 KWh of electricity off the grid, and we had sent back 14 KWh to the grid. So, I think we are in the running to have a totally self-sufficient day here. I think that is pretty darn cool. Okay, I am a nerd under all this other stuff...I admit it. Okay, let me clarify that, I consider myself an energy-nerd. I am not ashamed.

Time for dinner, Jody has made meatloaf and a nice salad. Jody has had the recipe for this meatloaf for over 15 years, but this is the first time he has made it. I bet you $1 it is going to be delicious! Tomorrow is my second bee-keeping class, and that will be fun. AND I think we will be going to an auction tomorrow night. BUSY, BUSY, BUSY...like little bees!

Deeds, Actions, Changes, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment