Sunday, November 7, 2010

2010 - Day Three Hundred Eleven...

spring forward...FALL BACK...I don't really feel like I got an extra hour of sleep, but I will take what I can get. I got up pretty early, time wise, and walked down to the Hilton where I had tickets for a gospel breakfast. It was pretty nice, but not nearly what I was expecting. I wonder why that is? Am I totally jaded, or simply not easily pleased? That will take much more than a daily entry in this journal to figure out. Posted here is a random shot of a lucky dog cart. Have you read 'A Confederacy of Dunces'? A good read, I recommend it. If you have, you will get the reference; if you haven't, I suggest you do!

After the breakfast, I walked back to my hotel, and hung out waiting for my friend Michael to call. We had made arrangements to Michael to come by and pick me up, and we were going to go to Tony and Rusty's house in the Garden District to have brunch and visit. I had not seen Tony or Michael since 1995 or so, and it was a great reunion. We spent about an hour or so at Tony and Rusty's home before we headed out for brunch. Rusty did not tag along, since he needed to get some sleep before heading to work.

We all had a nice brunch (Eggs Benedict) and then we headed off to visit haunts of our past. We drove past my old shotgun-double on Chartres (where I lived next door to Thomas) in the Fauberg Marigny, and then to places that had been hard hit by the hurricane. We went past the home I bought in New Orleans East (which is still there and occupied, much to my surprise) and then to an apartment complex where we all used to live (which is not completely standing, and kind of pitiful). We headed back to downtown, and said our good byes. I hope we can all try to keep in touch with one another, at least somewhat better than we have in the past 15 years. They are both good friends.

I got back to the hotel, and this place is a zoo of policemen of every ilk. Cops everywhere. Lots of stuff going on, and from my room on the 16th floor, it looked like Busby Berkley had choreographed the goings-on, but with not much intent. I have no idea what was going on, but hours later it is still going on.

I went down to print my boarding pass, and that took forever, but I met a really nice woman from Akron, Ohio (Hi Debbie) and we had a blast trying to get her boarding pass printed. It seems Debbie cannot tell the difference between an O (O) and a 0 (zero). There is a subtle difference, and subtlety loses something in a crowded lobby.

For dinner tonight I was heading back to Arby's, and I had my heart set on chicken fingers. They were out of chicken fingers. So, I went to McDonald's on Canal. I now know where the hinges of Hell are. They are through the portals of what is otherwise referred to as McDonald's on Canal Street. If you really want to know, ask and I will tell you, but there is not enough room here. Suffice it to say, there was a near uprising of customers versus employees, and I was not involved in it at all, except to point out that the cashier short changed me to the tune of $4.01. I expect she makes a pretty good living doing her little con, but that is another story completely.

I made it safely back to my hotel, and that is it for this trip. I will be up early in the morning, hoping to check out at 7 or 7:30 to get to the airport for a 10 o'clock flight, and make it back to Austin by 1 in the afternoon. NIRVANA!

Deeds, Actions, Changes, PURGATORY AT A MINIMUM, Kindnesses, Whirled Peas, FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment