Thursday, February 14, 2019

2019 - Day 45/320 - Thursday...Profligate...

Happy Valentines Day! Three pieces of chocolate in one of those little heart shaped boxes from CVS is allegedly a serving, and it is about 240 calories. You're welcome!

A door is a door is a door...today I presented a class on Service animals via broadcast from the Texas REALTORS® mother ship in Austin. I have done broadcast classes before, and this one was by far the best in terms of my technological acuity. It was MUCH simpler this time, and I am not sure if it was because the association has new hardware or what, but I did not find myself making apologies because I could not generate questions from one of the remote locations. There were two issues that were out of my control; one of the locations had themselves on mute so I could not get their audio and another location had a computer decide to update their program in the middle of the presentation. Not in my silo! I took this photo about 15 minutes before the presentation started...I should have taken another during the presentation...

Profligate -- Adjective: 1. Wildly extravagant. very wasteful. 2. abandoned to vice and corruption. shamelessly immoral. H earned quite a bit of money as a professional athlete but squandered much of it on his profligate lifestyle.

Did You Know? When a royal record keeper reported the "profligation of the knights" almost five centuries ago, he didn't mean that the knights were wildly indulging in excesses; he meant that they were thoroughly defeated in battle. There's nothing etymologically extreme there; the Latin verb profligare, which is the root of both profligate and the much rarer profligation (meaning "ruin"), means "to strike down," "to destroy," or "to overwhelm." When the adjective profligate first appeared in print in English in the 1500s, it meant "overthrown" or "overwhelmed," but over time the word's meaning shifted to "immoral" or "wildly extravagant."

No comments:

Post a Comment