Thursday, May 9, 2019

2019 - Day 129/236 - Thursday...Tocsin...

Here is something I know for sure. I is VERY HOT in McAllen, and the humidity is right up there, too. Another thing I am sure of: I have been up since three o'clock in the morning, and for most of the day I have not had a clue where I was. I have been in five cities, and it has been busy. I also know that Deborah and I made TREPAC presentations twice today (once in Brownsville and once in McAllen), and the hospitality has been overwhelming! Very kind and welcoming colleagues! It is thundering outside right now, and it is expected to be a serious rain event later this evening. Early morning, another presentation, and then a flight home tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed that we will be able to make it home and there will be no extreme weather en route!

Tocsin -- Noun. 1. an alarm bell or the ringing of it. 2. a warning signal. "That may sound alarmist, but the tocsin is being rung by some pretty sober people." Doyle McManus, Los Angeles Times, February 4, 2016

Did You Know? Although it has occasionally been spelled like its homonym toxin, tocsin has nothing to do with poison. Rather, it is delivered from the Middle French toquassen, which in turn comes from the Old Occitan tocasenh, and ultimately from the assumed Vulgar Latin verb toccare ("to ring a bell") and the Latin signum ("mark, sign"), which have given us, respectively, the English words touch and signal. Tocsin long referred to the ringing of church bells to signal events of importance to local villagers, including dangerous events such as attacks. Its use was eventually broadened to cover anything that signals danger or trouble.

1 comment: