Monday, August 19, 2019

2019 - Day 231/134 - Monday...Periphrasis...

As far as Mondays go, this one was NOT one of the worst. Probably not even in the top ten. I expect I will regret having written this, but traffic was not too terrible this morning. I made it in to the office in about an hour-and-a-half, which is not bad at all. A good day, office wise, got a lot of paperwork done, had a lunch appointment with an old friend (I am older than Bryan is), and then rand an errand or two on the way home. The road work goes on and on-I expect it will be done by Christmas, and in the meantime, getting the car washed is just an exercise in stupidity. Granted, I was never the smartest guy in the room, but even I know getting the car washed is just a waste of time, but I am going to keep doing it, just so I can keep complaining. Barney the cat has gotten a little bit more tolerant of me, particularly in the evenings when the sun goes down and I am out watering pots or putting the girls to bed. Our paths cross and we are about six feet away from each other, and he does not panic or even seem to care that I am in his space. And, as usual, he waits for either Jody or me to bring him his dinner to the bed of the Polaris. We all have our routines, and his is to climb up on the axle of the truck while we talk with him and put his food out. Then we walk away, looking back at him to say goodbye, as he walks over to the Polaris and jumps into the bed to eat. This picture shows him licking his lips in anticipation of dinner. We guess he is kind of a Pavlov's cat...

Periphrasis -- Noun. 1. use of a longer phrasing in place of a possible shorter form of expression. 2. an instance of periphrasis. Mark used periphrasis when he complained of "an acute pang of gastrointestinal discomfort" instead of just saying he had a stomachache.

Did You Know: It is easy enough to point out the origins of periphrasis: The word was borrowed into English in the early 16th century via Latin from the Greek periphrazein, which in turn comes from the prefix peri-, meaning "all around," and the verb phrazein, "to point out." Two common descendants of phrazein in English are phrase and paraphrase, the latter of which combines phrazein with the prefix para-, meaning "closely resembling." Another phrazein descendant is the less familiar word holophrasis, meaning "the expression of a complex of ideas in a single word or in a fixed phrase." The prefix holo- can mean "completely."

No comments:

Post a Comment