Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Day Seventy...

Okay, well, I have been up for about 20 minutes and so far the temperature has dropped about 6 degrees (54 degrees when I last checked) and the paper is not here yet. To make matters worse, it is really windy (the front must just now be coming through) and it is raining...AND THE PAPER IS NOT HERE YET. I walked down the driveway in my shorts carrying an umbrella in the rain, and the paper is not here yet. Okay, not a terribly big inconvenience, I just hope nothing terrible has happened to the newspaper carrier. She has been very dependable, and I think this is only like the second day she has been late since October. A much better record than the carrier we had in the city.

I slept kind of fitfully last night. The window next to my bed was open (as usual) and I kept expecting it to be raining outside. The forecasters said rain would begin after mid-night (and they were right, it is now about 5:45 AM and it is just starting to rain). And really early this morning a couple birds decided they wanted to have a discussion of some sort, and the QUEEN CAT was very interested in that, and just because I was laying there proved to be no real obstacle to her seeing what was going on outside the window. Add a hairball or two to the mix, and you can get the broad overall picture...

I just saw the newspaper carrier arrive, so I will go out again to retrieve the paper, and I will catch up with you later... Okay, I am back, and the second attempt to retrieve the newspaper was much more successful. It is still crazy windy, but the rain has slacked up a bit, and I was better prepared for the chore.

I will need to head out early today, even though I am going straight to the Board. I will be chairing an ethics hearing this morning, and usually that makes for a quicker drive in to town, but since it is kind of rainy, that means a longer commute. We do not know how to drive in or after rain here is central Texas. Rain is such a novelty, we act like a flock of wild turkeys and just hang out with our mouths open, looking up! Later the same day... Okay, well, you can see how my drive in was, it took me about 90 minutes to go about 38 miles. At least I was there in time for the meeting, and I figured there were going to be some issues.
So, not I am about to leave the office for the ride home. I do not expect it will be any better than it was coming in, but I will keep a positive attitude about it.
Have a great day, and do a good deed for yourself or for someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment