Friday, June 21, 2019

2019 - Day 172/193 - Friday...Flotsam...

I used to smoke cigarettes. Benson & Hedges DeLuxe Menthol 100s. In the gold box. I would store other things in the boxes as well, necessities for an evening of social adventures. I loved smoking. I was really good at it. I haven't smoked a cigarette in about 25 years. That was the last time I quit smoking. There were several times before that. There was also a time that I had a jumbo slurpee every day. I loved slurpees. Cola flavored. I had a slurpee today for the first time in I have no idea how many years. It was probably a four ounce slurpee. It cost $1.50. It was awful. I was really disappointed. Occasionally, I dream about smoking a cigarette, and in my dreams, I am disappointed that I hated having smoked a cigarette after such a long time. In my dream, the cigarette after such a long time was not nearly as fulfilling as I remembered. The slurpee was much the same as a dream cigarette. Truly disappointing. Such a shame.

Flotsam -- Noun. 1. floating wreckage of a ship or its cargo. broadly. floating debris. 2a. miscellaneous or unimportant material. 2b. debris, remains. The young couple's apartment was adorned with the flotsam and jetsam of thrift stores and yard sales.

Did You Know? English speakers started using flotsam, jetsam, and lagan as legal terms in the 16th and 17th centuries. (The earliest evidence of flotsam dates from around 1607.) The three words were used to establish claims of ownership to the three types of sea-borne, vessel-originated goods they named. Flotsam was anything from a shipwreck. (The word comes from the Old French floter, meaning "to float.") Jetsam and lagan were items thrown overboard to lighten a ship. Lagan was distinguished from jetsam by having a buoy attached to the goods could later be recovered. In the 19th century, when flotsam and jetsam took on extended meanings, they became synonyms, but they are still very often paired.

No comments:

Post a Comment