Monday, October 7, 2019

2019 - Day 280/85 - Monday...Mordant...

Oh my, it has been a long day, but a lot was accomplished. It was an early wake up this morning, because I had to pack to go to a series of meetings in Austin. I got to the office right at 9 o'clock, did some work, ran a few errands, made it to the airport to pick up a friend, and then on the the hotel. A diet coke later and I was in a meeting until about 9 this evening, and now I am ready to call it a night. The nice thing about this is, my first appointment is not until 8 o'clock tomorrow morning, so I get to sleep in. There was a cool front that came through last night, which made the day really pleasant. Back up to above normal high temperatures for several days to come, and then I think there is another cold front coming through, so I think that will be the official end of the oppressive heat for this year. Fingers crossed,

Mordant -- Adjective. 1. biting and caustic in thought, manner, or style. incisive. 2. burning, pungent. The writer's acute insights and mordant wit have made her posts a must-read for many fans.

Did You Know? The etymology of mordant certainly has some bite to it. That word, which came to Modern English through Middle French, ultimately derives from the Latin verb mordere, which means "to bite." In modern parlance, mordant usually suggests a wit used with deadly effectiveness. Mordere puts the bite into other English terms, too. For instance, that root gave us the tasty morsel ("a tiny bite"). But nibble too many of those and you'll likely be hit by another mordere derivative: remorse ("guilt for past wrongs"), which comes from the Latin remordere, meaning "to bite again."

No comments:

Post a Comment