Wednesday, October 30, 2019

2019 - Day 303/62 - Wednesday...Redound...

I kind of think this day has been TOO long. It started out early and it ended too late. And it is cold. BUT, we got the first load of firewood for the season. I got a call from the guy this morning and he said he would be here with it after 6 o'clock, and he was. That gave me time to get all my stuff done and get home to clear out last years wood (what was left) and so they could stack this years wood. All is well, Jody is enjoying the first fire of the season, and if I am lucky, I will move the plants to keep them from freezing tomorrow afternoon. The lucky part is, if they do not freeze overnight tonight. Fingers crossed...

Redound -- Verb. 1. to have an effect. 2. to become transferred or added. accrue. "It is felt that the traffic from the exhibits and classes will redound to the benefit of downtown restaurants and hotels." Scott Eyman, The Palm Beach Post, November 13, 2009

Did You Know? Although it looks and sounds like a number of similar words (including rebound, resound, abound, and redundant), redound is a distinct term. It developed from the Middle French redunder, which in turn came from the Latin redundare, meaning "to overflow." In its earliest known English uses in the late 1300s, redound meant "to overflow" or "to abound," but those senses are now considered archaic. In current use, redound is often followed by "to," and the effect can be positive (as in the example sentence) or negative ("[It] probably would have redounded strongly to my disadvantage it I had pursued to completion my resolution"-Joseph Heller, God Knows).

No comments:

Post a Comment