Saturday, January 11, 2020

Volume 12 - Day 11/355, 2020 - Saturday

It was too cloudy for me to get a picture of the moon last night, but the skies are clear and I got one this evening. Lovely. I did little of anything today. I had an 11:30 appointment that took longer than I was expecting, and then I went to the office for a little while. Did some stuff after leaving the office and then met Candy and Mike in Round Rock for a glass of wine. I left there, and went the WRONG way on the expressway and it took me twelve miles before I figured it out. I think I am losing it. Anyway, that is what I did today, what did you do today?

If you have too many Canada geese in your yard, or in your pond, or on the roof of your building, or for any goose over population problem in general, you might want to call a "goose egg addler" to help control further growth. Here's how they do it; First, the addler approaches a nest (when the geese aren't around) and places the eggs in a bucket of water. If an egg sinks, he coats it with vegetable oil, which prevents oxygen from entering and gases from escaping. That stops the embryo from developing further. The eggs are then placed back into the nest, which fools the mother into thinking she's nesting on live eggs-otherwise she'll lay more eggs. If the eggs float, it means an air sac has developed in the egg, and the embryo has developed beyond the point where it can be terminated humanely, so those eggs are replaced in the nest and allowed to develop into goslings. Egg addling is regulated by wildlife services in Canada and most of the United States, and you must have a permit to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment