Sunday, July 5, 2009

Day One Hundred Eighty Six...

See, I wasn't too keen on 'over-dressing' when I was a little kid, either! I can remember when summer days were not so hot (we had no air conditioning and we survived), and all I had to worry about was avoiding all the bigger kids that I had smarted off to in the course of the day. I was really a pacifist when I was little, although now I can kind of see that I was the Green Peace kid in the neighborhood. I could never let well enough alone, I always had to be stirring up trouble. AND I was always the littlest kid around, so I made a good target for the kids I was aggravating. I wonder when I will learn my lesson?

Today has been a great day. I made contact with an old friend (Mike) who I think now lives in Arizona with his family. We worked together in Hattiesburg, Mississippi about thirty years ago. Time flies and not always when you are having fun, too.

I watered many of the plants in the front of the house, and Jody watered in the back. Then we got in the car and drove down back roads to Killeen, Copperas Cove, Briggs and other little towns here and there. Since it was Sunday, the car was kind of on auto-pilot to the Dairy Queen in Georgetown, and we both had a nice spoiler for lunch. We made it home with no issues, and the last we looked, it is 104 degrees outside, and not a sing of any breeze. It has been cloudy, and there is the slightest of possibilities that we will get some rain this week, and that would be wonderful.

We watched a movie this afternoon "TransAmerica" with Felicity Huffman, and it was very interesting. Yesterday we watched "Milk" which I found a little bit unsettling, mainly because I do not like the bickering and fighting going on throughout the film. I cannot stand "Mommy Dearest" because it reminds me too much of the way I grew up, and it is not the wire hangers part, either.

So, we are settling in for the evening, and looking forward to catching up with what has been happening in the world, although I am sure I could be just as happy not knowing. Then dinner, a swim in the pool, a little television and then lights out. And another week will start bright and early in the morning.

Does anyone like figs? We have a tree that is just covered with figs, and we have no idea what to do with all of them. Maybe I can deliver figs to the less fortunate, and that will count as one of my good deeds for the day. I read something today that some movie star said "There ought to be a law that everyone must smile to at least three people every day". So, that could count as your good deed. Anyway, do something kind for someone, even if it is yourself, and try to have fun while you are doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment