Monday, November 23, 2009

Day Three Hundred Twenty Seven...

Hey Kids, What Time Is It? Well, of course, it is PIE TIME! I was at a meeting today, and one of the women attending the meeting said 'from here on out til the end of the year, all I do is eat'. Well, welcome to the club. This pie was a gift from our friend (and mortgage broker) Dawn. She does this every year at this time, and this year we chose pumpkin. I think we chose pumpkin last year also, but we are nothing if not predictable. Yum, PIE! Kind of brings out the Homer Simpson in us all! Could be worse...

So, my meeting today was very interesting, and it went from 9:30 until about 3:30, with lunch and a couple breaks in the middle. Interesting stuff I have to say, and it is giving me a whole new way of thinking about things. THINKING is the key word in that sentence.

During the meeting, I was inundated by semi-emergencies...the kinds of emergencies that have to do with window screen challenges on a sales transaction that is scheduled to close in a few days (remember the four day weekend thrown in there, too) and HVAC system repairs that may or may not have been accurately diagnosed originally, and other issues with just not being able to respond to calls in an acceptable amount of time (all relative to who is calling and how important the return call is, in my opinion). AND, there are issues of civility, assumptions, perceptions (possibly the most important of all) and manners and etiquette. I am still working towards making our society (that includes you) a kinder, gentler and more civil one. It all starts with us. I am trying to go twenty-four hours without becoming terribly annoyed at the person in the car next to, in front of, behind, or under me. I have, on occasion, been diagnosed with 'Impulsive Explosive Disorder' (or IED) which is the technical term for road rage, or so I read in the National World News in the checkout lane at HEB several months ago. Whatever... Anyway, once I master that, I feel like I will have a good base to go forward with my quest to make the world more tolerant. I will let you know how that all works out.

No real issues on the way home this afternoon. I am listening to a new book on CD, it is called 'Water for Elephants'. I am on about the fifth chapter, and so far I am finding it a very interesting book. Very interesting. It is told from the point of view of a man 23 years old, and the same man at 90 (or 93, he is not sure), when he is in an assisted living center. Very interesting.

No meetings tomorrow, but I do have a 9 o'clock appointment, and then lunch with a very dear friend (Bryan), and then errands to take care of and the other things that we do to fill up our days. Tomorrow will finish the 'hump' day towards Thanksgiving, and I am really looking forward to the long weekend, even though I intend to do a lot of work (catch-up) while I am taking it easy. Wonderful!

Remember; kindness, deeds, actions, whirled peas, changes, and FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment