Sunday, November 22, 2009

Day Three Hundred Twenty Six...

Today was the day for the Austin Empty Bowl Project. I arrived to volunteer at about 8:15, and there were already about a dozen people in line. My job was to be an outside greeter, and pass out programs. I decided to make it a little bit interesting, and tried to get everyone in line to be courteous and well mannered. The bottom line to that was that everyone was required to say 'please'; example, 'Would you like a program? Yes, please.' There, what is so tough about that? Throughout the morning, I explained to people that I was just trying to make our world (the line to get inside the building) a kinder and gentler place, and that they were all there today to do a good thing, and that it is the simple things that will ultimately make our world a kinder and gentler place. Most folks were in a really good mood, and they willingly went along with the schtik...there were a few folks that were not wanting to play, and one woman even told me she was 'not a child'. WELL! And to top that all off, I was outside a Starbucks later in the day, and a sign in the window said 'I wish adults could remember back when they were children.' PERFECT. ANYWAY, towards the end of my volunteer shift, Carrie and I met a new friend whose name is Drace. We pulled him out of the line and asked if he would have his picture taken with us, and I asked him if it was okay for me to post his photo on the blog. He gave me his permission, and I later went back and found his mom and asked her permission as well, and I gave them the web-site address. So, if you are out there reading this, Hi Drace and Mom, I hope you got some great bowls today. Thanks for being there!

Afterwards, I had work to do, and when I got home, I had to feed the cattle and take a fresh bale of hay out to them. All the cattle were happy to see me, if not just a little bit impatient to get at the feed. Then Jody and I went into Georgetown to the new Sprouts grocery store, and ordered our Thanksgiving dinner. Our friends Lynda and Michale told Jody about it while were were all attending the first Austin Empty Bowl Project Preview Party. That was a lot of fun, and we all had a big time.

Of course, this will be a short week, and there is lots of stuff to do before it will be time to settle down for a long weekend. Life goes on, and we are almost all over-shceduled. Just part of living.

Okay, so try and do a kind thing for someone who does not expect it of you. It does not take much, maybe just a kind word...a 'please' or a 'thank you'. You never know. Try to make some small change in your life that will make the entire world a better place for all of us. And, remember to have FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment