Sunday, November 24, 2019

2019 - Day 328/37 - Sunday...Maieutic...

I have NO IDEA who this guy is. I reprised my role (it's an annual thang) of 'trash-man' for the Austin Empty Bowl Project. Today, I was much more delicate and quiet, and I added 'free-hugs' to my gig. It was interesting who was up for free hugs. It was kind of a peer pressure thing. People were hesitant, but if one person in the group said HELL YEAH, they all came in for a hug. If one member of the group said 'no, I'm good,' then nobody wanted a hug. I am thing 75% to 80% went for the hugs. Many were really appreciative and thanked me, some just wanted a hug. I see the same people year-after-year, and they remember me too, and that is fun. One friend of mine has been married since last year, and I got to meet her husband. All-in-all, it was a really fun day, several folks from the office (and their spouses) came to volunteer, and a good time was had by all!

Maieutic - Adjective. relating to or resembling the Socratic method of eliciting new ideas from another. "I am grateful to him for his maieutic (may-you-tick) inquiry about my own views, which had not crystallized." William F Buckley Jr., Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, December 27, 1973

Did You Know? Maieutic comes from maieutikos, the Greek word for "of midwifery." In one of Plato's dialogues, Socrates applies maieutikos to his method of bringing forth new ideas by reasoning and dialogue; he thought the technique analogous to those a midwife uses in delivering a baby (Socrates's mother was a midwife). A teacher who uses maieutic methods can be thought of as an intellectual midwife who assists students in bringing forth ideas and conceptions previously latent in their minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment