Saturday, November 30, 2019

2019 - Day 334/31 - Saturday...Indigence...

I was out and after it very early this morning. Well, kind of early. I got up and let the dogs out and got on to my big blue chair and took a nap. Jody got up probably 45 minutes later, and I started breakfast. I was out of the house and down the road by 7:45, on my way to the Tractor Supply in Taylor, where a guy sharpens knives every Saturday morning. I was first in line with my 8 kitchen knives. Most of the other people stopping by were having hunting knives and other serious knives sharpened, but, true to form, I was having household tools worked on, not big dangerous manly things sharpened. Whatever. I made it home and my helper made it over about 10 o'clock. We got the front barn straightened around, and started working on cleaning up around the fence line where the county has been screwing stuff up under the guise of working on the road. It will all work out in the end. Chicken coop cleaned, Jody and I went in to Georgetown for lunch, all is well. Here is something for you to think about; tomorrow is the first day of December!

Indigence -- Noun. a level of poverty in which real hardship and deprivation are suffered and comforts of life are wholly lacking. "Mr. and Mrs. Bumble, deprived of their situations, were gradually reduced to great indigence and misery, and finally became paupers." Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist, 1838

Did You Know? Is your vocabulary impoverished by a lack of synonyms for poverty? This will help. Poverty, penury, and indigence all describe the state of someone who is lacking in key resources. Poverty covers the range from severe lack of basic necessities to an absence of material comforts ("The refugees lived in extreme poverty"). Penury suggests an oppressive lack of money ("Illness condemned him to years of penury"). Indigence, which descends from a Latin verb meaning "to need," implies seriously straitened circumstances and usually connotes hardship ("She struggled through the indigence of her college years").

No comments:

Post a Comment