Thursday, January 10, 2019

2019 - Day 10/355 - Thursday...Beau Geste...

I did not take any photos today for the journal (or for any other reason). I went through some recent pictures, and I did not see anything that I thought was interesting enough, so I thought, let's see what was happening a year ago today. And guess what? A year ago today, I was doing pretty much the same thing I was doing today, but I did not document it for posterity. This morning, I was at the Texas Real Estate Commission. A year ago today, I was at the Texas Real Estate Commission. Same room. Different council/committee/task force/working group. That might be the universe trying to tell me something, but I am not exactly sure what that message might be. If you have any ideas, feel free to let me know. Susan?

Beau Geste (or beau geste) -- Noun: 1. a graceful or magnanimous gesture 2. an ingratiating conciliatory gesture. "While opening his home was a beau geste on your friend's part, closing the door to his boss guest is easier said than done." - Karla L. Miller, The Washington Post, August 3, 2017

Did You Know? Beau geste is a phrase borrowed from French; the literal translation is "beautiful gesture." Beau Geste is also the title of a 1924 novel by Percival Christopher Wren, featuring three English brothers who join the French Foreign Legion to repair their family honor. (That's the one I am familiar with, but I thought Beau Geste was a person.) The novel spawned several film versions, including one starring Gary Cooper. Wren didn't invent the phrase beau geste, which first appeared in print at the beginning ofd the 20th century, but the publicity surrounding the novel and subsequent films likely contributed to the expression's popularity.

No comments:

Post a Comment