Sunday, January 20, 2019

2019 - Day 20/345 - Sunday...Prehension...

I am yawning already, and I just started this journal entry. What do you think the odds are that I will make it to see any part of the Super Blood Wolf Moon Total Eclipse tonight? I give you pretty even odds that I will see part of it (8:36 p.m.), and most of it when it is totally eclipsed (10:40 p.m.). I might even see the peak (11:12 p.m.), but after that, I can not make any promises. I will say that there was a really pretty sunset, but this journal entry is about lunar eclipses, not sunsets. So, mothers. make sure your babies are safe tonight, the crazies may just be out all over during this event!

Prehension -- Noun: 1. the act of taking hold, seizing, or grasping. 2. mental understanding: comprehension. 3. apprehension by the senses. Without opposable thumbs, prehension likely would not be possible in mammals.

Did You Know? It's easy to grasp the origins of prehension -- it descends from the Latin verb prehendere, which means "to seize" or "to grasp." Other descendants of prehendere in English include apprehend, comprehend ("to grasp the nature or significance of"), prehensile ("adapted for seizing or grasping"), prison, reprise, and reprisal. Even the English word get comes to us from the ancient root that led to the Latin prehendere.

No comments:

Post a Comment