Thursday, January 31, 2019

2019 - Day 31 - Thursday...Hawthorn...

A grey and drizzly day here in central Texas. it seems that is also the forecast for the next week. Chilly (high temperatures in the 50s and 60s) and chances for rain each day. We prefer sunshine, thank you very much. This is another of the abandoned homes that I pass on the way to work each morning. It still amazes me that these properties are just left, and no one goes back to care for them. I feel sorry for the house. One of the home remodeling programs I am addicted to mentioned that the house they were renovating was saying "Someone please help me, make me pretty and welcoming again." I get it. Yes, I really do feel sorry for the structures, no matter what the original intent was.

Hawthorn -- Noun: any of a genus (Crataegus) of spiny shrubs or small trees of the rose family with glossy and often lobed leaves, white or pink fragrant flowers, and small red fruits. By July the hawthorn bush had grown and spread into the neighboring garden and needed to be pruned.

Did You Know? A hawthorn is a thorny shrub or tree that can be planted into a hedge, and this fact provides a hint about the origins of the plant's name. The word hawthorn traces back to the Old English word hagathorn, a combination of haga ("hedge") and thorn (same meaning as the modern "thorn" or "thornbush"). Haga was also used in Old English for the hawthorn itself, but by the 12th century the thorn had been added to its name.

Tune in tomorrow for the annual February theme month topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment