Sunday, January 6, 2019

2019 - Day 6/359 - Sunday...Expiate...

I am often smarter than the cattle, although it is not understood that I am, not by the cattle anyway. Generally speaking, I am smarter than the chickens. The chickens think I an God, the cattle generally just think I am an annoyance. The dogs think I am just kept around to make their lives more comfortable, is a servant kind of way. I was able to outsmart the cattle today, for the most part. Most of them (six out of eight) were in the smaller front pasture when I decided it was a good time to take them some hay. Only two were in the pasture where the first bale was going to be put, so I was able to get the hay out, unwrapped, down and rung pretty much before they knew what was happening. That distracted them while I got the other bale and took it to another pasture. As far as I know, they do not even know it is there yet. If you squint, you can see the cattle in the far pasture, happily mis-behaving with the fresh hay. I was a little disappointed with the weather today, it was cloudier and cooler and wetter than I was expecting. I got everything done though, and we have another fire going in the fireplace. Just to take the chill off.

Expiate - Verb: 1. to extinguish the guilt incurred be 2. to make amends for. David volunteered at the youth center partly as a way to expiate his early years as a trouble maker on the streets.

Did You Know? Expiate derives from expiare, Latin for "to atone for," al root that in turn traces to the Latin term for "pious." Expiate originally referred to warding off evel by using sacred rites, or to using sacred rites to cleanse or purify something ("[Epimenides] lustrated and expiated the City," wrote the 17th-century author Thomas Stanley in The History of Philosophy, "rendring the people more obsequious to justice and unity"), but Shakespeare, among others, used it to mean "to put an end to": "But when in the time's furrows I behold, / Then look I death my days should expiate" (Sonnet 22).

No comments:

Post a Comment