Thursday, January 24, 2019

2019 - Day 24/341 - Thursday...Hummock...

I latched on to another piece of desk art this afternoon. When it comes to yard art, Jody says there is a thin line between yard art and crap on the porch, and that I am erasing the line. The same can (probably) be said of my desk art. I may not know too much about art, but I know what I like, and what I like is generally undefinable. Eclectic. Eccentric maybe. Weird. Odd. I think I will stick with eclectic. Kind of like me.

Hummock -- Noun: 1. a rounded knoll or hillock. 2. a ridge of ice. 3. a fertile area in the souther United States and especially Florida. "He zeroed in on a hummock that looked like the earthen side of a bunker, long since overgrown with moss and foliage." Matthew Shaer, Smithsonian Magazine, March, 2017

Did You Know? Hummock first appeared in English as an alteration of hammock, another word that can be used for a small hill. This hammock is not related to the hammock we use to refer to a swinging bed made of netting or canvas. That hammock comes from the Spanish hamaca, and ultimately from Taino, a language spoken by the original inhabitants of the Greater Antilles and the Bahamas. The origins of the other hammock and the related hummock are still obscure, though we know they share an ancestor with the Middle Low German hummel ("small height") (think of the figurines) and hump ("bump"). The latter of those is also a cousin of the English word hump, another word that can refer to a small hill or hummock.

No comments:

Post a Comment