Sunday, May 12, 2019

2019 - Day 132/233 - Sunday...Suborn...

And the sun did come out, and it was Mother's Day, and it was good. I hope everyone had a lovely day. I know some did not, but another day will follow this one, so maybe that will be a better day. As for me (us), we had a nice day. Started as usual, coffee, paper, breakfast, nap. I rousted myself and got a bit of home office work done, thank I headed in to Austin for an 11 o'clock appointment. A quick stop at the office, then back north where I did a couple errands, and when I got home, I started cutting 'at' the grass. The riding mower would not start, so I put the charger on it, and used the walk behind to do a couple hours worth of cutting. After dinner, the riding mower started, so I cut some more, cleaned the chicken coop, and took the garbage to the road. All-in-all, a lovely day, and there is some talk of sunshine for the following week, and a high chance of rain next weekend. So far this month, we have had 7.1" of rain, and I am pretty sure that is more rain than we are supposed to have in May. May-be not. Get it?

Suborn -- Verb. 1. to induce secretly to do an awful thing. 2. to induce to commit perjury. also, to obtain (perjured testimony) from a witness. "He even suspected that certain aldermen might possibly be suborned to desert him, though all professed loyalty." Theodore Dreiser, The Titan, 1914

Did You Know? The Latin word that gave us suborn in the early part of the 16th century is subornare, which translates literally as "to secretly furnish or equip." The sub- that brings the "secretly" meaning to subornare more commonly means "under" or "below," but it has its stealthy denotation in the etymologies of several other English words, including surrepitious (from sub- and rapere, meaning "to seize") and the verb suspect (from sub- or sus- and specere, meaning "to look at"). The ornare of subornare is also at work in the words ornate, adorn, and ornament.

No comments:

Post a Comment