Friday, May 24, 2019

2019 - Day 144/221 - Friday...Grimalkin...

This was part of the entertainment yesterday on my way to Abilene. I had no idea there were wind farms this close to Austin. I think these were in Goldthwaite, but I am not sure. I think they are interesting to look at, and if I had not been on a 'mission' I could have probably spent a good half-hour just watching them. And on the way home they were interesting too. You could not actually see the turbines, but they have red flashing lights on top of them, and it was fun to see the lights on the tops of the ridges. Interesting.

Today was mostly a day in the office, and I did get a chance to show a couple houses in the late afternoon. I have one appointment tomorrow, and then there is a wedding to go to tomorrow evening. I am planning on some rest between now and then!

Grimalkin -- Noun. a domestic cat, especially an old female cat. "It is no accident that the contemplative Egyptians, together with such later poetic spirits as Poe, Gautier, Baudelaire, and Swinburne, were all sincere worshippers of the supple grimalkin." H.P. Lovecraft, "Cats and Dogs," 1926

Did You Know? In the opening scene of William Shakespeare's Macbeth, one of the three witches planning to meet with Macbeth suddenly announces, "I come, Graymalkin." The witch is responding to the summons of her familiar, or guardian spirit, which is embodied in the form of a cat. Shakespeare's graymalkin literally means "gray cat." The gray is of the color; the malkin was a nickname for Matilda or Maud that came to be used in dialect as a general name for a cat - and sometimes a hare - and for an untidy woman as well. By the 1630s, graymalkin had been altered to the modern spelling grimalkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment