Monday, May 27, 2019

2019 - Day 147/218 - Monday...Chirography...

We hope you had a great observance of Memorial Day! Overall, it was a much better day on the Edge of Nowhere. I am feeling better, not great yet, but better. Barney has reappeared, so that is comforting. I managed to get a few chores done today; patio, porch and deck swept. Dug up a sickly gardenia and put it in a nice big pot so I can take better care of it. It was one of the first plants I bought when we moved here eleven years ago, so I am not giving up on it. I cleaned the chicken coop, and jumped (jump is somewhat of an exaggeration) in
the pool for a few minutes. It had been a couple days since I paid attention to the meter readings, so I did that and sat out in the chick pen for a while and communed with the chicks. They all seem to be doing well, I shredded some carrots for them earlier and gave them those. They are a little over eight weeks old now, and so far so good.

Chirography -- Noun. 1. handwriting, penmanship. 2. calligraphy. "How, then, with me, writing of this Leviathan? Unconsciously my chirography expands into placard capitals." Herman Melville, Moby-Dick, 1851

Did You Know? Though some might argue that handwriting is a dying are in the age of electronic communication, this fancy word for it persists. The root graph means "writing" and appears in many common English words such as autograph and graphite. The lesser-known root chir, or chiro-, comes from a Greek word meaning "hand" and occurs in words such as chiromancy ("the art of palm reading") and enchiridion ("a handbook or manual"), as well as chiropractic. Chirography first appeared in English in the 17th century and probably derived from chirograph, a now rare word referring to any of various legal documents.

No comments:

Post a Comment