Wednesday, May 1, 2019

2019 - Day 121/244 - Wednesday...Disingenuous...

No snakes were harmed in the commission of this picture. Jody and I sat out on the front porch with the dogs for a while this evening after dinner. When we came back inside, Jody casually commented "There's a snake on the window ledge." I just happened to have a pair of gloves in my brief case from the move yesterday, so I got them and then got the snake. I asked Jody to take my right hand glove off so I could document the catch (the release came later). Harmless snake, the dogs did not see it so there was no rabble from them, and that was a good thing. Not sure how the snake got in to the house, but I can guarantee you one thing; a snake on the window sill is very different from finding a snake in the bed. I have never experienced the latter (and hope never to), but I can also guarantee you, that, if I ever do, you will not have to wait for a journal post accompanied by a selfie...that girly scream you will hear is just me acknowledging the fact that I found a snake in the bed.

Welcome to May, y'all!

Disingenuous -- Adjective. lacking in candor; also. giving a false appearance of simple frankness. calculating. Be aware that their expressions of concern may in truth be disingenuous and self-serving.

Did You Know? Today's word has its roots in the slave-holding society of ancient Rome. Its ancestor ingenuus is a Latin adjective meaning "native" or "freeborn" (itself from gignere, meaning "to beget"). Ingenuus begot the English adjective ingenuous. That adjective originally meant "freeborn" (as in ingenuous Roman subjects") or "noble and honorable," but it eventually came to mean "showing childlike innocence" or "lacking guile." In the mid-17th century, English speakers combined the negative prefix dis- with ingenuous to create disingenuous, meaning "guileful" or "deceitful."

No comments:

Post a Comment