Tuesday, April 30, 2019

2019 - Day 120/245 - Tuesday...Inveterate...

Today was a long day. It was one of those days when you think it is incredible that you are capable of keeping everything together. The worst parts virtually never happen, but it was another one of those days that I felt other things were in control. That is not supposed to sound like I am on the verge of some sort of melt-down, because I am not...it was just a stressful day. I might have mentioned to you that, last Friday we found out, quite accidentally, that the storage facility we use was sold and we had until TODAY to empty our two storage units and get the Fu*k out of there. We were not the only ones that were inconvenienced by that, and there was plenty of commiserating to go around. Yesterday, we found a new (and vern nice) facility, just a few blocks away, and not too much more fee wise. Today, we moved all the stuff. I was up WAY TO EARLY so I could be in the office to meet the movers at the storage place by 9, and they called and said they would be there at 8:30. Okay, that is not too bad. BUT...it was moving, and I was glistening and it was raining off-and-on, and it was moving. That was done by about 12:30, then it was back to the office, then back to pick up my car (so happy that the windshield was replaced) and then another appointment at 5 o'clock. Everything worked out. I put a cover over part of the chicken run, and the chicks are happily cavorting in their run. I took their little pen out of the coop, and made a little girl chick roost for them to practice on so when they become big girls, they will know what the hell is going on. OH YEAH, I do not know what these are called (I think either Rain Lilies or Rain Iris), but they are really common in central Texas, and I have never had too much luck with them. I planted about a dozen of them last year, and they are starting to bloom. Miracles happen! Good night!

Inveterate -- Adjective. 1. firmly established by long persistence. 2. confirmed in a habit. habitual. "Even I, the inveterate outdoor exerciser, almost didn't head outside last week. The weather on Tuesday was bitter, the wind chill worse..." Leslie Barker, DallasNews.com, January 23, 2018

Did You Know? Like veteran, inveterate ultimately comes from Latin vetus, which means "old," and which led to the Latin verb inveterare ("to age"). That verb in turn gave rise eventually to the adjective inveteratus, the direct source of our adjective inveterate (in use since the 14th century). In the past, inveterate has meant "long-standing" or simply "old." For example, one 16th-century writer warned of "those great Flyes which in the spring time of the yeare creepe out of inveterate walls." Today, inveterate most often applies to a habit, attitude, or feeling of such long existence that it is practically ineradicable or unalterable.

No comments:

Post a Comment