Tuesday, April 16, 2019

2019 - Day 106/259 - Tuesday...Redolent...

Well, well, well. I forgot to plug the car in last night. It really was no problem, I had over 100 miles of range, so that was no big deal. I got in to Austin and plugged in at one of the Tesla Chargers and I was on my way in about 30 minutes with another 125 miles of range. Not really terribly inconvenient, just a waste of 20 minutes because I forgot to plug in. I got to the office and started preparing for a class I was going to present at the South location. Then I found out (by text and e-mail alerts) that there was another water line break on the edge of nowhere (not ours) and we were (once again) under a boil water notice. I was supposed to be at my class at 1 P.M., but now I needed to get to HEB and buy some bottled water. It is forecast that this outage could last several days. Allegedly we are not supposed to use tap water for bathing, washing hands, brushing teeth or cooking. Boil for a while, then cool the water down if you want to use tap water. Particularly of concern to older folks with perhaps a reduced immune system. Don't all old folks have a reduced immune system? SO...this is the second event in less than a week, and the dew is off the lily on this one. Whatever. Otherwise, it makes the 2 hours and 10 minutes it took me to get home this afternoon look like a piece of cake. We are all done except for the complaining. Oh, and this is one of my favorite Iris in the yard. I always like this particular iris, I call it the 'parchment color' iris. I think they are beautiful. I hope you enjoy the photo.

Redolent -- Adjective. 1. exuding fragrance. aromatic. 2a. full of a specified fragrance. scented. b. evocative, suggestive. "For much work, hourly pay, redolent of punching time cards early in the first Industrial Revolution, will likely be supplanted by other measurements." Quentin Hardy, Quartz, August 23, 2017

Did You Know? Redolent traces back to the Latin verb olere ("to smell") and is a relative of olfactory ("of, relating to, or connected with the sense of smell"). In its earliest English uses in the 15th century, redolent simply meant "having an aroma." Today, it usually applies to a place or thing impregnated with odors, as in "the kitchen was redolent of garlic and tomatoes." It can also be used of something that reminds us of something else or evokes a certain emotional response, as in "a city redolent of antiquity."

No comments:

Post a Comment