Thursday, April 4, 2019

2019 - Day 94/271 - Thursday...Solicitous...

I had to scroll through my posts to see if I had added any photos of poppy's, and it looks as if I have not, so here you are. I love poppy's, and this weekend begins (I think) the Poppy Festival in Georgetown. I am hoping to get one of the posters for this years event, we shall see. The chicks are doing really well, no losses yet on the chick front. It was 90 degrees here today, so I turned the lamp off in their little coop. It is going down into the 60s tonight, so I may re-arrange the lamp thing so it is not so close to the chicks. It is threatening to rain all weekend long, maybe 2 or 3 inches of rain. That is really okay with me, it will mean I can stay in the house, work on gathering tax information and take a few naps along the way.That sounds just like a perfect weekend if you ask me!

Solicitous -- Adjective. 1. showing attentive care or protectiveness. 2. full of concern or fears: apprehension. 3. meticulously careful. 4. full of desire: eager. Lyle has developed a reputation as one of the best tailors in the area because he is solicitous of his customers and their needs.

Did You Know? If you are solicitous about learning the connections between words, you'll surely want to know about the relationship between solicitous and another word you've probably heard before -- solicit. Solicitous doesn't come from solicit, but the two words are related. They both have their roots in the Latin word sollicitus, meaning "anxious." Solicitous itself came directly from this Latin word, whereas solicit made its way to English with a few more steps. From sollicitus came the Latin verb sollicitare, meaning "to disturb, agitate, move, or retreat." Forms of this verb were borrowed into Anglo-French and then Middle English, and they have survived in Modern English as solicit.

No comments:

Post a Comment