Wednesday, April 10, 2019

2019 - Day 100/265 - Wednesday...Flippant...

You heard it here first. I'm lazy. The photo I am using in this journal entry is (at best) uninspired. I just needed a picture, and I was too lazy to actually search out something that would be attractive and interesting. Attractive and interesting. I could write a whole volume on those words, but that would distract me from the fact that I am lazy. Too lazy to take a decent picture. However, I did get up at 4:30 this morning and got ready to hit the road shortly after around 6:30 to make it to my destination before the scheduled time of 8:30. You absolutely, positively cannot figure what you might face when it comes to traffic, so I always try to make it earlier than later. As it was, I got to the board shortly after 8, and that is good so I do not feel like I am having to ruse to get set up and make sure all the AV is working and all that. Just a one day presentation, day three for the colleagues in attendance. Tomorrow will be their last day for this section of the 12 day course. AND, it was in a HUGE room with only about 20 folks attending the class.

Flippant -- Adjective. lacking proper respect or seriousness. "Craig's blunt, and he has a dry sense of humor, but he has to realize that his comments -- no matter how flippant -- can and will be scrutinized." Sean O'Connell, CinemaBlend, August 16, 2017

Who is Sean O'Connell and why is he referring to me as "Craig?"

Did You Know? Flippant did something of a flip-flop shortly after it appeared in English in the late 16th century. The word was probably created from the verb flip, which in turn may have originated as an imitation of the sound of something flipping. The earliest senses of the adjective were "nimble" and "limber." One could be flippant not only on one's feet, but also in speech -- that is, someone flippant might have a capacity for easy, flowing speech. Such flippancy was considered a good thing at first. But people who speak freely and easily can sometimes seem too talkative, and even impertinent. By the end of the 18th century, the positive sense of flippant had slipped from use, and the "disrespectful" sense had taken its place.

No comments:

Post a Comment