Thursday, April 18, 2019

2019 - Day 108/257 - Thursday...Hirsute...

Today was a much better day than yesterday. I did not feel as if I were totally out of control, did not feel like I was stretched beyond my limits. Now...tonight (since there is no storm in the immediate forecast), I think I will also get a better nights sleep. Last night, the thunder was pretty darned amazing; loud, frequent, prolonged. Lots of LOUD thunder. Not much lightning that I can recall, but it was loud. We got a little over an inch of rain (who am I kidding? we got 1.09" of rain), and that was a good thing. Even though it sounded like it was raining really hard, the iris and poppies and roses (and now honeysuckle) are not destroyed. Everything is good, with the exception of a few downed limbs. No real problems from the storm, and no hail (that was predicted). As I said, today was a better day, and I presented a class at the Austin board. That was fun, and I learned a few things as well. In my opinion, that is the mark of a good presentation. And then there was the ride home; traffic was pretty bad, hopefully because everyone was hitting the road to get a head-start on the Easter weekend. I will let you know the traffic situation tomorrow morning.

Mueller report was released (partially) today. I have downloaded the report on two different computers, one more to go. I wonder if they can transfer that to an audio book. Who owns the copyright on that report. 448 pages would probably take (what) eight or ten hours to listen to on Audible. If that is not already in the works, would someone send them an e-mail for me? Thanks.

Hirsute -- Verb. 1. hairy. 2. covered with course stiff hairs. "I told my barber, Rich, a hirsute Mediterranean-looking man with studs in each ear, that I was anxious about the 'Sweeney Todd aspect' of a straight razor." Henry Alford, The New York Times, May 1, 2013

Did You Know? Hirsute has nearly the same spelling and exactly the same meaning as its Latin parent, hirsutus. The English word has four close relatives: hirsutism, and hirsuties, synonymous nouns naming a medical condition involving excessive hair growth; hirsutal, an adjective meaning "of or relating to hair"; and hirsutulous, a mostly botanical term meaning "slightly hairy" (as in "hirsutulous stems"). The latter three are not especially common but are entered in Merriam-Webster's Unabridged Dictionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment