Saturday, April 27, 2019

2019 - Day 117/248 Saturday...Pastiche...

Well, I did it. I finished the chicken pen covering, so the chicks (soon to be chickens) should be relatively safe from most predators. I am fairly certain that I have miscalculated about something, and that I will not realize it until it is too late. I am however, generally pleased with the finished product; except for the final bits. I ran out of the wire fence that I was using as the cover (I bought a 100 foot roll, I never in a million years would have expected that I would use that much fence), and the final bits look like 'early american engineering.' That is what I usually say when someone did a crappy job of something. I will let it be for a while, and then my CDOness will get the better of me and I will go buy more fencing and finish it properly. BUT, the chicks can see what the outside world is like if they want to venture forth. We shall see. I also cut most of the grass in the front (not all of it, most of it), and while doing so, I found this border rock with initials on it. Not sure what they might stand for, but if you have any clues, feel free to chime in.

Pastiche -- Noun. 1. a musical, literary, or artistic work that imitates work or is made up of selections from different works. 2. hodgepodge. The director's new film is a clever pastiche of the 1960s spy movies he watched as a boy.

Did You Know? It all began with macaroni. Our word pastiche is from French, but the French word was borrowed from the Italian pasticcio. Pasticcio is what the Italians called a kind of "macaroni pie" (from the word pasta). English speakers familiar with this multilayered dish had begun to apply the name to various potpourris or hodgepodges (musical, literary, or otherwise) by the 18th century. For over a hundred years English speakers were happy with pasticcio, until we discovered the French word pastiche in the latter part of the 1800s. Although we still use pasticcio in its extended meaning, pastiche is now much more common.

No comments:

Post a Comment