Saturday, April 6, 2019

2019 - Day 96/269 - Saturday...Pedantic...

I repeat this query every year, but this year, I also believe I have it right. This is (I believe) a photo of wildflowers that I believe are called 'Indian Blankets', not to be confused (although I just admitted I am) with 'Indian Paintbrush'. I believe Indian Blanket is pretty much solid red/orange. and Indian Paintbrush is red/orange with yellow/orange. Joe Mac will clear this all up for me, because he does that every year. So far today we have received 1.54" of rain, and there is supposed to be more overnight, and all through tomorrow. I met some clients this morning at a listing appointment, and I managed it without getting soaking wet. That was later. We got a good rain, but it was not so hard that it beat down all the iris and poppy's. The other things I have planted have so far done pretty well, including the tomato and pepper plants. Maybe the trick is to do it early. We shall see. The new chicks are doing well, too, so that is encouraging. One of them busted out of the little coop yesterday (did I already mention that?), but I was able to corral her without too much trouble.

Pedantic -- Adjective. 1. narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned. 2. unimaginative, pedestrian. Rather than rely on pedantic lectures, Professor Hughes tries to apply the lessons of economics to real-life scenarios to keep her class engaged.

Did You Know? In Shakespeare's day, a pedant was a male school teacher, and someone who was pedantic was simply a tutor or teacher. But some instructional pedants of the day must have been pompous and dull, because by the early 1600s both pedant and pedantic had gained extended senses referring to anyone who was obnoxiously and tediously devoted to his or her own academic acumen.

No comments:

Post a Comment