Thursday, April 11, 2019

2019 - Day 101/264 - Thursday...Avuncular...

The photo of the day is no more particularly inspired than the one I used yesterday, but at least I did not have to give it any real thought. I was 'on-hold' in the office and there was a wreck outside, so I asked Tosalyn to take a picture that I could use on this journal entry. Photo Credit Tosalyn! It was mostly an office day today, I had lunch with my friend Cass, and an appointment to show a listing at 3 o'clock this afternoon. Other than that, nothing really exciting to report. Cass and I always have a variety of topics to discuss, almost like when I get my hair cut. A diverse range of topics. Tomorrow will be much of the same; I will drop off tax records to the CPA and get our extension filed, then a lunch appointment, and maybe home early. I need to get the grass cut in the dog yard, and I want to do that before it starts raining again on Saturday. We are not expecting a lot of rain, more like just a nuisance rain.

Avuncular -- Adjective. 1. of or relating to an uncle. 2. suggestive of an uncle especially in kindliness or geniality. The avuncular TV host was known for educating and entertaining generations of boys and girls with a mix of warmth and humor each weekday afternoon.

Did You Know? Not all uncles are likable fellows (Hamlet's murderous Uncle Claudius, for example), but avuncular reveals that, as a group, uncles are generally seen as affable and benevolent, it at times a bit patronizing. Avuncular derives from the Latin noun avunculus, which translates as "maternal uncle," but since at least the 1830s English speakers have used avuncular to refer to uncles from either side of the family or even to individuals who are simply uncle-like in character or behavior. And in case you were wondering (and odds are you weren't), avunculus is also an ancestor of the word uncle itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment