Tuesday, April 9, 2019

2019 - Day 99/266 - Tuesday...Felicitate...

Ugh. I was at the disposal and out of my own control for most of the day, and that got (pretty much) everything discombobulated. Spell check thinks discombobulated is a real word, obviously, because it is not alerting me that I have mis-spelled discombobulated. Whatever... BUT, as is usual, everything for today has come to an end, and there is only the hope of a better tomorrow. The sun was out nicely today, although I was unable to enjoy it (see above). Tomorrow will be a day for me to guide a class at the board, and that is always fun. The only challenge is, I am the last day of a four day class, and the attendees have all had a chance to bond, and I am coming in as the stranger. We will see how that all works out, but I expect it will be fine. I will leave a little bit earlier tomorrow, you never know what the traffic situation will be like.

Felicitate. Verb. 1. to consider happy or fortunate. 2. to offer congratulations to. "The rising music stars, all of whom are first-prize winners of the All India Radio Competition 2011, we be felicitated in the morning inaugural session." Screen, January 13, 2012

Did You Know? Felix, a Latin adjective meaning "happy" or "fruitful," is the root of our English words felicity and felicitate. The former is the older of the two; it dates back to the 14th century and refers to the state of being happy or to something that makes people happy. When writing King Lear, William Shakespeare used felicitate as an adjective meaning "made happy," but not everyone took a shine to that sense and it fell into disuse. However, people were happy to pick up felicitate as a verb meaning "to make happy." That meaning is now considered archaic, but it was the seed for other meanings of the word. Felicitate eventually grew to mean "to consider happy or fortunate" and "to congratulate."

No comments:

Post a Comment