Tuesday, April 2, 2019

2019 - Day 92/273 - Tuesday...Bootless...

Oh my, my, my, my... When you live on the Edge of Nowhere, you never really know what the day might bring. Mike had a flight at 9:15 this morning, so I was awake at 4:30 doing piddly little things and getting ready for the day. We left the house about 6:30 (I think), and we got to the airport just before 8 A.M. There was (maybe) only one stop on the toll-way, and only a couple slow spots, so that was good. No stressing! I think Mike's plane was on time, and he texted me that he was back in Fort Lauderdale and waiting on Norma to pick him up. All good, and we were totally happy to have a chance to visit with him! Then it was off to my office, and then to a NAR meeting at the ACL Theatre, the annual Broker Summit. This was the first time it was held in Austin. I have been to all the Summits except one, and I really advocate for my colleagues to attend. This is a photo of Debbie, Russell, me and Candy on the ACL terrace, overlooking Willie Nelson Boulevard!

Bootless -- Adjective. useless, unprofitable. We already knew that our mechanic was on vacation, so any attempt to call him at his garage would be bootless.

Did You Know? This sense of bootless has nothing to do with footwear. The boot in this case is an obsolete noun that meant "use" or "avail." That boot descended from the Old English bot and is ultimately related to our modern word better, whose remote Germanic ancestor meant literally "of more use." Of course, English does also see the occasional use of bootless to mean simply "lacking boots," as in Anne Brontes Agnes Grey (1847): "And what would their parents think of me, if they saw or heard the children rioting, hatless, bonnetless, gloveless, and bootless, in the deep soft snow?"

No comments:

Post a Comment