Monday, April 29, 2019

2019 - Day 119/246 - Monday...Yashmak...

I took my car in this morning to have the windshield replaced. You may remember that about a month ago, the car (hereinafter referred to as the 'rock magnet') attracted a rock while driving down IH-35. Windshield ordered, appointment set, supposed to be in-and-out (like the burger) in one day. Not so much. The loaner I have is like my previous car, and I have issues folding and bending myself to adequately squeeze my girth into the thing. I will have my car back tomorrow (I got an e-mail that said it was ready, but that was like two hours after I got home). Whatever. It was a busy day in the office, wrapping up one month and getting ready for another month. Plus, the storage facility we have had for about a decade decided to sell out to build condos, and they (allegedly) sent us letters (if they sent them we did not get them), so we are in a panic to find new storage facilities and get stuff moved from one to the other. Movers are to be at the old facility at 9A.M. SHARP tomorrow. Again, we shall see. Otherwise, the amaryllis that is blooming in one of the front beds is lovely, so I hope you enjoy it!

Yashmak -- Noun. a veil worn by Muslim women that is wrapped around the upper and lower parts of the face. "...and of course I had seen no more of Ayesha than her eyes above the top of her yashmak - that is, her veil." Frank Savile, The Strand, December, 1903

Did You Know? Yashmak is one of several words borrowed from Middle Eastern languages to refer to components of the Muslim wardrobe. Burqa (or burka), referring to a loose garment that covers the face and body, derives from Arabic by way of Persian and Urdu. Chador, referring to a cloth that combines a head covering, veil, and shawl, has linguistic ancestors in Hindi, Urdu, and Persian. Yashmak, which first appeared in English in 1844, derives from a Turkish word. Both burqa and yashmak entered English in the 19th century, but chador dates about three centuries earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment