Friday, May 17, 2019

2019 - Day 137/228 - Friday...Intransigent...

So, let's just be honest. My beliefs and my values are most likely NOT similar to those of many of my friends and colleagues, and that is okay. You may recall (I have said this many times), that I am a Renaissance man. I will do things that may surprise many, and many others are not surprised by anything that I do or say. Today was a really interesting day, and there were at least a couple 'firsts' for me. To begin, I went to the Library of Congress where I met with a few of my colleagues, and participated with those colleagues in a short video for TREPAC. Advocacy. Representing our colleagues and property owners to our elected officials in issues that are important to REALTORS® and members of the public. Lobbying. That is just a few of the things we do, and what better place to make a quick video than in our nations Capitol. After that, I went to witness my friend Candy presenting the commencement speech for new graduates of the REALTOR® University. Then, I went and witnessed a speech by Donald Trump to many of our colleagues. So, there are three firsts for me in one day. I have strong opinions and strong ethics and strong personal beliefs, but I also do my best not to surround myself with only those friends of mine that share my same opinions and beliefs. I hope I am not kidding myself when I profess to be a well-rounded person. So, if you are offended by the photo in this entry of MY journal, I invite you to begin with a criticism of yourself, and not one of me. And just to be clear, I care about and love each of you. Good night.

Intransigent -- Adjective. characterized by refusal to compromise or to abandon an often extreme position or attitude. uncompromising. Several board members remained intransigent and the meeting ended without a compromise proposal being drafter.

Did You Know? English speakers borrowed intransigent in the 19th century from the Spanish intransigente ("uncompromising"), itself a combination of the familiar prefix in- ("not") and transigente ("willing to compromise"). Transigente comes from the Spanish transigir ("to compromise"), which in turn comes from the Latin transigere ("to come to an agreement"). The French have a similar verb, transiger, which also means "to compromise." The word transigent has seen occasional use in English, but it is not well established. There is, however, one other common English word that traces from the Latin transigere: transact, meaning "to conduct (business)."

No comments:

Post a Comment