Saturday, June 1, 2019

2019 - Day 152/213 - Saturday...Circumlocution...

Both cats were in evidence today. Smokey was laying by the front wheel of the tractor (that seems to be the place of choice), and Barney was seen high-tailing it into the cannas when I was headed his way with the walk-behind mower. As I sit writing this journal entry, Barney was just seen sashaying across the front path. Today was a pretty good day for getting chores done around the house. I did (of course) have a good nap after breakfast, and then I started demo on the lattice that (formerly) covered the walkway from the house to the gazebo. I had intended (I'm still thinking about it) to replace the wood lattice with some fiberglass lattice they have at Home Depot. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. For right now, I won't. We took the girls to the vet for a check-up (I am sworn to secrecy), and all is fine with them. I got the grass cut in the back of the house, so that is good. I also got the pool filter cartridge cleaned. Call me crazy, but I like cleaning the pool filter cartridge. This is a picture of the sunset from last night, I hope you enjoy.

Circumlocution -- Noun. 1. the use of an unnecessarily large number of words to express an idea. 2. evasion in speech. When pressed by the reporter, the senator resorted to circumlocution rather than admit that his office was involved in the scandal.

Did You Know? Grammarian H.W. Fowler advised, "Prefer the single work to the circumlocution." Alas, that good advice was not followed by the framers of circumlocution. They actually used two terms in forming that word. But their choices were apt; circumlocution derives from the Latin circum-, meaning "around," and locutio, meaning "speech" - so it literally means "roundabout speech." Charles Dickens used it to satirize political runarounds when he created the fictional Circumlocution Office, a government department that delayed the dissemination of information.

No comments:

Post a Comment