Wednesday, June 12, 2019

2019 - Day 163/202 - Wednesday...Mimesis...

What day is it? I know, it's hump-day...but really, what the hell day is it? I am tired, it is after 10 o'clock, and I just got home. It has been a crazy couple of weeks, but if I can make it through next Tuesday, there will be some time for rest. Another full day of guiding folks through a class at the Austin Board of REALTORS®, two more full days next week, and a four hour presentation on Friday. I really, REALLY love what I am doing, particularly the part that gets my ugly mug in front of my colleagues, no matter what the subject, although I suspect many of you know the subject material. After the class this afternoon, I took off to the Highland Lakes Association to present at their first Major Investor event, and it was a really great success. Many of the members 'upped' their TREPAC investments, and there were three or four (I lost count) new Major Investors. Not at all shabby for their first event. This is a picture of me and Sonya, a Highland Lakes member and a TREPAC Trustee for Region 8.

Mimesis -- Noun. imitation, mimicry. "To hear her now resort to weird mimesis, echoing hollow, boring expressions of lust...feels like a collapse of imagination, and of honesty." Amanda Petrusich, The New Yorker, September 5, 2017

Did You Know? Mimesis is a term with an undeniably classical pedigree. Originally a Greek word, it has been used in aesthetic or artistic theory since Plato and Aristotle to refer to the attempt to imitate or reproduce reality. Mimesis is derived from the Greek verb mimeisthai, which means "to imitate" and which itself comes from mimos, meaning "mime." The English word mime also descends from mimos, as do mimic and mimicry. And what about mimeograph, the name of a duplicating machine that preceded the photocopier? We can't be absolutely certain what the folks at the A.B. Dick Company had in mind when they came up with the Mimeograph (a trademark name that has since expired), but influence from mimos and its descendants certainly seems probable.

No comments:

Post a Comment