Tuesday, June 11, 2019

2019 - Day 162/203 - Tuesday...Inkling...

So, these are the clouds that greeted me this morning as I was going out to let the girls out of the coop, into their run. Lovely. Once I got going, there were a few drops of rain, nothing really worth noting. When I left Austin this afternoon on the way home, it was raining. I had been inside all day (guiding a class) and I had no idea it was raining. I got home, nothing. No rain. Nothing. Did I mention there was nothing? I find it interesting that the rain bands can be so specific. On Sunday, we have a few drops of rain, Austin had a deluge. When we moved out her to the edge of nowhere, we believed it rained more here than in Austin, and we attributed that to the 'heat island' affect. We made that up, but the theory was, there was so much heat in Austin that the rain in the atmosphere would go around Austin, because of the 'heat island.' Now I don't have a clue what is going on. BUT, otherwise, today was a good day, there were 29 or so attendees in the class I presented, and tomorrow is another day!

Inkling -- Noun. 1. a slight indication or suggestion: hint, clue. 2. a slight knowledge or vague notion. Nobody had an inkling that Devon was searching for a new job, so we were all stunned when he announced that he was leaving the company.

Did You Know? Originating in English in the early 16th century, inkling derives from the Middle English yngkiling, meaning "whisper or mention," and, beyond that, perhaps from the verb inclen, meaning "to hint at." It also shares a distant relationship with the Old English noun inca, meaning "suspicion." An early sense of the word meant "a faint perceptible sound or undertone" or "rumor," but now people usually use the word to refer to a tiny bit of knowledge or information that a person receives about something. One related word you might not have heard of it the verb inkle, a back-formation of inkling that occurs in some British English dialects and means "to have an idea or notion of."

No comments:

Post a Comment