Wednesday, June 19, 2019

2019 - Day 170/195 - Wednesday...Faineant...

Needless to say, this crap will take the zoom-zoom out of your zoom-zoom. I couldn't go twenty minutes today (going or coming) without encountering a wreck. Wrecks to the left of me, wrecks to the right... Whatever. I did make it to the office before 8 o'clock, and I had the whole place to myself for a while and that is always a nice thing. Quiet, no distractions, clear the desk kind of time. I had two appointments today, and they were both fun and productive. A good time was had by all. Tomorrow I will present another class at the Austin Board, and on Friday I will present a short class, and then back in to the office for some power real estate. AND THEN it will be the weekend, and I expect to be a slug. Well, you know how that goes...

Faineant -- Adjective. idle and ineffectual. indolent. The humid late afternoon left Sam feeling faineant and wanting nothing more than to sit by the pool and sip iced tea.

Did You Know? You've probably guessed that faineant was borrowed from French; it derives from fait-nient, which literally means "does nothing," and ultimately traces back to the verb faindre, or feindre, meaning "to feign." (The English word feign is also descended from this verb, as are faint and feint.) Faineant first appeared in print in the early 17th century as a noun meaning "an irresponsible idler," and by the mid-19th century it was also being used as an adjective. As its foreignness suggests, faineant tends to be used when the context calls for a fancier or more elegant word that inactive or sluggish.

No comments:

Post a Comment