Wednesday, June 5, 2019

2019 - Day 156/209 - Wednesday...Bruit...

The prognosis for today was rain, and I had full comprehension of that. I had a 9 o'clock breakfast appointment, and I was early. There was a car wash right there, and I am not an fan of car washing...we live on a dirt road. BUT, the exterior of the car was filthy, and there was a car wash right there. I did the drive-thru deal, which was fun, the inside was nothing that I could not overcome, and the outside has most of the dirt washed off of it. It did not rain considerably, and the car still look like you can tell what color it is. All-in-all, I think it was a win-win! Plus, I got to use four hyphens! A great day! This is my experience at the car wash, from the inside.

BUT...I am exhausted. I finished reading (listening to) the Mueller Report. Fascinating. Informing. Exhausting. Detailed. Interesting. Not a bodice ripper or anything like that, but there is a lot of information in that report, and I believe I can now speak to (or at least I believe I can validate any opinion I want to share) after having read (listened to) it. I am officially a snob, so if you have not read it, do not berate me with your feelings. Feelings don't count.

Bruit -- Verb. report, rumor - usually used with about. Word was bruited about that the company might be moving to a bigger office downtown.

Did You Know? Back in the days of Middle English, the Anglo-French noun bruit, meaning "clamor" or "noise," rattled into English. Soon English speakers were also using it to mean "report" or "rumor" (it applied especially to favorable reports). We also began using bruit as a verb the way we used (and still occasionally do use) the verb noise, with the meaning "to spread by rumor or report" (as in "the scandal was quickly noised about"). The English noun bruit (meaning "noise" or "rumor") is now considered archaic, but the verb lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment