Sunday, June 16, 2019

2019 - Day 167/198 - Sunday...Troglodyte...

Today was a MOST excellent day. After coffee, paper and breakfast, I went in to the office and cleared my desk. And cleared my inbox. And cleared my e-mails. Nothing. I am caught up, and I expect that status to last at least until about eight o'clock tomorrow morning. I ran some errands on the way home from the office, and when I got home, I swept out the garage and the front porch, cut the grass in the dog yard, sent a few more e-mails, and took a nap. Later on I tried out my idea for a gutter from the chicken coop to the chicken run...it didn't work with the stuff I have available, but in theory the idea should still work. More on that in a future post. I am really happy that there are peaches on our two peach trees, there are apples on both of our apple trees, but there are no plums on the plum tree. I will check the pear tree another time.

Troglodyte -- Noun. 1. one who lived or was reputed to live in a cave (as in antiquity). 2. a person characterized by reclusive habits or outmoded attitude. "I am not on any social media. ...Guess that makes me a troglodyte." Rosie DiManno, Toronto Star, November 23, 2012

Did You Know? Peer into the etymological cave of troglodyte and you'll find a trogle. But don't be afraid. Trogle may sound like a scary cave-dwelling ogre, but it's actually just a Greek root that means "hole" or "cave." Troglodyte and its related adjective troglodytic (meaning "of, related to, or being a troglodyte") are the only trogle offspring that are widely used in general English contexts, but another trogle progeny, the prefix troglo-, meaning cave-dwelling," is used in scientific contexts to form words like troglobiont ("an animal living in or restricted to caves").

No comments:

Post a Comment