Sunday, February 3, 2019

2019 - Day 34/331 - Sunday...Deke...

One of my habits is to watch the CBS Morning News on Sundays. This morning, there were technical difficulties with the transmission from CBS HQ. The commercials worked, but the actual news programming didn't. I wonder if this is a trend we can expect in the future? Generally speaking, I think many of us find the commercials to be more entertaining than the actual programming. Hmmm.

This is the front door of (what used to be) my grandmother's house, the house where my mother grew up. This is the house where I got my arm caught in the washing machine wringer. I don't really remember the incident (I was about 4 I think), but I can show you the scar, and I have a great story about it. Zillow says the house should sell for a little over $21K, and you could rent it for $650 a month. I should go buy it, what do you think?

Deke -- Verb: to fake (an opponent) out of position (as in ice hockey). Jason deked the defender and slipped past him to take a shot on the goal.

Did You Know? Deke originated as a shortened form of decoy. Ernest Hemingway used deke as a noun referring to hunting decoys in his 1950 novel Across the River and into the Trees ("I offered to put the dekes out with him"). About a decade later, deke began appearing in ice-hockey contexts in Canadian print sources as both a verb and a noun ("the act of faking an opponent out of position"). Today, deke has scored in many other sports, including baseball, basketball, football, and soccer. It has also occasionally found its way into more general usage to refer to deceptive or evasive moves or actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment