Monday, February 25, 2019

2019 - Day 56/309 - Monday...Vade Mecum...

This is the house my parents built in 1961 in Riverview, Michigan. Downriver from Detroit. It is the house I lived in when my father died in 1968. I graduated from high school in 1969. The house is a little bit different than the way it was built. The sidewalk went from the porch in a straight line to the street side walk, now it looks like it goes from the porch to the driveway. The big picture window in the front was just one big (HUGE) pane of glass, now it looks like it is a bow window. I remember the house pretty well, I expect if I were to go back (which I would really like to do), I would think it is smaller than I remember.

I think (maybe) we are wavering on the era of the chickens. We MIGHT get some more chicks, just not sure at this point in time. I guess only time will tell.

Vade Mecum -- Noun: 1. a book for ready reference: manual. 2. something regularly carried about by a person. "Well into the 20th century, John Barlow's Ideal Handbook, the vade mecum of the rifleman, carried instructions for molding the Keene bullet." Jim Foral, Gun Digest 2012

Did You Know? Vade Mecum (Latin for "go with me") has long been used for manuals or guidebooks sufficiently compact to be carried in a deep pocket, and it would sometimes appear in the title of such works, as with one of the earliest known uses of the phrase in the title of the 1629 volume Vade Mecum: A Manuall of Essayes Morral, Theologicall. From the beginning, it has also been used for things carried by a person, such as gold, medications, and memorized gems of wisdom. But these days, vade mecum is primarily encountered in reference to works that are intended to serve as one-step references of guides to a particular subject, whether or not such a work can actually be carried in one's pocket (a moot distinction, perhaps, in an age when such works can easily reside on a smartphone).

No comments:

Post a Comment