Tuesday, February 26, 2019

2019 - Day 57/308 - Tuesday...Pianistic...

It was a civilized start to the day...I dilly-dallied around and it took a couple hours to get in to the office, but I made it in time for the property management meeting. I didn't make anything for breakfast, and had my usual four cups of coffee between waking up and getting to the office. I am trying to think of something remarkable that happened today, but I am drawing a blank. I got a pretty good number of chores done, got a lot of things on my 'to done' list scratched off, picked up prescriptions, went to Costco and made it home in time to talk with the yard guys. Had a nice dinner (stuffed salmon) and watched Finding Your Roots on PBS. We watch PBS on Mondays and Tuesdays, and enjoy it very much. Other than Big Bang Theory and Dr. Pimple Popper, that is about the total of our (my) must-see TV. Just two more entries in the theme month, I had better make them good. After that, it will be back to wrecks and clouds. I have seen lots of things worthy of journaling, but I have kept true to the cause.

Pianistic -- Adjective: 1. of, relating to, or characteristic of the piano. 2. skilled in or well adapted to piano playing. "In fact, ... he has been bringing his pianistic and composing chops to orchestra gigs for more than a decade." David Weininger, The Boston Globe, May 12, 2017

Did You Know? The origin of pianistic won't surprise you - it's ultimately from piano. But the -istic suffix is less than ubiquitous and bears some attention. It is used from time to time to create adjectives that correspond to nouns primarily in -ism or -ist. (In this case, both pianism and pianist predate pianitsic, although only by a few years.) The pedigree of -istic isn't too surprising; etymologists report that it comes from Middle French (-istique), Latin (-isticus), and ultimately Greek (-istikos). As with words formed from the suffix -ic, words ending in -istic can sometimes find life as nouns - for example, autistic and characteristic. Got it?

No comments:

Post a Comment