Wednesday, February 20, 2019

2019 - Day 51/314 - Wednesday...Luciferin...

The options for this journal entry were not really all that good. I could do it early or late, and by late I mean that most of you would already be asleep and it would be tomorrow. So I am doing it early. My flight has been delayed again, so I am stuck here until 8 p.m., thena 3+ hour flight. I know, these are all just first world problems, and I agree with that whole-heartedly, so I will get over it. The sun MIGHT come up tomorrow where I am heading, but according to the prognosticators, it is not likely. I would really like to understand the workings of Wi-Fi Hotspots, but I don't, so no need to go further into that. It works, and even I can make it work, so that is enough for me.

Luciferin -- Noun: any of various organic substances that upon oxidation produce a virtually heatless light (as in fireflies). "Luciferins vary in chemical structure; the luciferin of luminescent bacteria, for example, is completely different from that of fireflies." "Luciferin", Encyclopedia Britannica Online, 2012

Did You Know? Luciferin for its name from the Latin word lucifer (meaning "light-bearing"), which also is a source of the word that is sometimes used as the name of the devil. We won't go into how Lucifer came to be called by that name -- suffice it to say that he wasn't always associated with darkness -- but let's look a bit more closely at the Latin word lucifer. It comes from Latin luc-, meaning "light," plus -fer, meaning "bearing" or "producing." Additional relatives include the nontechnical adjective luciferous, meaning "bringing light or insight," and luciferase, the enzyme that catalyzes the oxidation of luciferin.

No comments:

Post a Comment