Saturday, February 16, 2019

2019 - Day 47/318 - Saturday...Gloaming...

It was 91 degree in central Texas yesterday. The best it got to today was 48. No sun. We are sick of no sun. I did figure out why I could not get warm. I forgot to check the thermostats after the cleaning lady came this week. The thermostat on one side of the house was set at 63. Good for conservation, not so good for trying to stay warm. I had considered building a fire in the stove, but decided against it. I did get some things done today that helped to keep me cold. I power washed the front porch this morning. Not too bad, took about an hour. Then later on I gave the dogs a bath. They are both pretty good about that, although Callie is not really that keen on it. Lexie does pretty good when I an trying to give her a little trim. I think she is pretty used to it. We expect they were both groomed more before we got them than they are now, BUT I am getting pretty good at the bathing thing. It is supposed to be a little bit warmer tomorrow, so I would really like to wash the car. Then of course there is the chicken coop to be cleaned and I would like to take some hay to the cattle. I think the cattle would like that too! I am not too sure about cutting any grass...

Gloaming -- Noun: twilight, dusk. "Nighttime, not the late hours but the gloaming,...that's when the loneliness settled in like the ache in her hip on a rainy day." Lisa Unger, Fragile, 2010

Did You Know? If gloaming makes you think of tartans and bagpipes, well, lads and lasses, you've got a good ear; we picked up gloaming from the Scottish dialects of English back in the Middle Ages. The roots of the word trace to the Old English word for twilight, glom, which is akin to glowan, an Old English verb meaning "to glow." In the early 1800s, English speakers looked to Scotland again and borrowed the now-archaic verb gloam, meaning "to become dusk" or "to grow dark."

No comments:

Post a Comment