Monday, February 18, 2019

2019 - Day 49/316 - Monday...Thew...

President's Day Holiday. Except not for me. Banks were closed, no mail today, but life went along as usual. I would be okay with no mail delivery on Saturday, if anyone thought that would be an okay thing for saving money for that service. I really have no problems with the USPS. Personally, I cannot get a letter from here to there for less than 55 cents. Is that how much a first class stamp costs these days? I know the cost of postage continues to go up, but try to compare that with inflation in Venezuela. Now, quit complaining. There is plenty of other stuff to complain about, but instead, I think I will finish this journal post, get myself three or four Girl Scout cookies, plant myself in the big blue chair and watch Antiques Roadshow. I hope to get this done in ten minutes.

Thew -- Noun: 1a. muscular power or development. b. strength, vitality. 2. muscle, sinew - usually used in plural. "As soon as his right arm received thew and sinew he learned to draw the long bow and speed a true arrow." J. Walker McSpadden, Robin Hood and His Merry Outlaws, 1923.

Did You Know? In Middle English, thew carried a number of meanings, referring to a custom, habit, personal quality, or virtue. The word began to tire in the 16th century but was soon revitalized with a new meaning: It began to be used specifically for the quality of physical strength and later for the muscles demonstrating that quality. In time, the word buddied up with sinew in both literal and figurative turns of phrase, as in "the thews and sinews of my body ached" and "their love affair was the thew and sinew of the story."

No comments:

Post a Comment